Going to a restaurant usually is a time when you can kick back, let down your stress levels, and be treated like royalty while eating some good food. However, on one fateful day a customer at Cracker Barrel was left fighting for his life after an order gone wrong.
Details on How Cracker Barrel Poisoned a Customer and Now Has to Pay Millions in Settlement
This scary situation happened way back in 2014, but has just recently come to a close in the court law. A man named William Cronnon was ordering food from a Cracker Barrel in Marion County, Tennessee when the unthinkable happened. He ordered some water, but what the waiter brought him was a cup full of chemicals.
Somehow someway the staff of Cracker Barrel served William Cronnon a cup full of Eco-San cleaning sanitizer solution that is usually used to clean their kitchen area. When he drank from solution made from sodium hypochlorite it immediately started to burn his throat and mouth, leaving permanent damage that still affects his quality of life till this day.
William Cronnon Asked for $150,000 in a Lawsuit Against Cracker Barrel Got Almost $10 Million Instead
Despite what happened changing his life permanently William Cronnon asked for a modest amount in damages, which totaled $150,000. However, the court of law decided he deserved much more. According to a report from Chattanooga Times, Cracker Barrel was ordered to pay him $730,000 in economic damages, $5 Million in punitive damages, and $3.6 Million in non-economic damages. In all the total amount William made off the ordeal equals $9,330,000. He’s essentially set for life now.
This situation will probably make you think twice about ordering drinks at Cracker Barrel.